Friday, February 14, 2014

On Valentine's Eve

I had planned to have some women from the Catholic Moms group over last night to make "Valentine's Day surprises" for our husbands - basically spending a fun evening making chocolate-covered goodies (Oreos, strawberries, pretzels, etc.), talking, laughing, drinking, sampling.  And sending everyone home with a bag of chocolatey yummies to share with their loved ones for Valentine's Day.

Unfortunately, the weather didn't cooperate.  Unexpected snow during the day made the roads pretty bad, and people started cancelling, and...well, I decided it would be best to move it to sometime post-Valentine's Day when we could get a better turnout.  It was a bummer.

BUT I still had a container of fresh strawberries in the fridge, and I knew they wouldn't stay good until next week.  So I had the brilliant idea of letting my two toddlers help me make chocolate-dipped strawberries instead.  It was, as expected, an enormous mess.  But still mostly a good time.
Stella just dipped and licked the whole time



Thank goodness for IKEA's full-body bibs!
Yes, I'm still in pajama pants at 7:30pm....this is uncharacteristic of me, I swear! :-)

Sly got to "lick the bowl"


Not too bad-looking

Enjoying the fruits of our labor

 
I realized, for the first time, that strawberries look a lot like hearts.  I feel like someone could come up with some neat symbolism or theological parallel with this....but that person is not me :-)

Happy (St.) Valentine's Day!

2 comments:

  1. It must be the mom in me, but little ones with chocolate covered faces are always adorable!

    We're doing chocolate fondue later, but I made a few of those to bring in to friends at work. I think I would have had fun with those two helpers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, these pictures are so adorable! I'm sorry you didn't get your girls' night though!

    ReplyDelete