I'm still working on the baby quilt at my quilting group. I finished piecing the top. I still need to get some batting so I can sandwich it all together, quilt it, and bind it.
This was my first time doing appliqué work, and it looks pretty rough up close. Sewing right along the edges was not as easy as I expected, and I hit that point where I stopped caring, and just said "good enough!" As long as it doesn't all pull out in the wash, I'm happy with it.
Another thing I'm doing with my quilting group is "block of the month." Our instructor gave us a guide indicating how much to get of different types of fabric ("1/2 yard of fabric #1", "1/3 yard of fabric #2", etc.). We get to pick all our colors, but we have no clue what shape it will all take in the end. Every month, she'll give us a new pattern, showing us how to put together one block. At the end of a year - supposedly - we will be able to join them together into a queen-sized quilt.
Here's my first block.
I'm making the quilt for my bedroom.....which is now finally re-painted!
When we moved in, the master bedroom had peach walls with matching peach trim, done in dull flat paint. Very unhappy looking place.
|"before", but after we had already scraped a lot of the old caked paint off the window moldings|
And here's the room after painting the moldings white and the walls in a purple-gray satin paint.
|after - I'm loving the contrast between the walls and the trim|
This was a big step, but our bedroom is still not done. We need to hang pictures, refinish the free-from-Craigslist headboard (I'm thinking white, with some antiquing paint to pull out all the nice carved flower details), and - the big one - build some bookcases in the alcoves beside the bed.
Which is why the alcove area still looks terrible, with the original wall color and stacks of books, waiting....
Ever since we had our kitchen cabinets and counters re-done, we've been hoping to attempt installing a tile backsplash ourselves. It's taken so long to get started - mostly because we were intimidated by it. But after reading many online tutorials and watching a handful of Youtube videos about tiling, I felt confident enough to try it. So far, we've just done the small piece of wall above the side counter. This was our "practice" wall - Tom did most of the cutting, I did most of the tile-laying. We're hoping to start on the rest of the backsplash a little after Thanksgiving.
|after laying the tile, but before grouting|
Moldings in the Playroom
When we moved in, the playroom had pale blue-green walls and white trim. It was clearly in need of a new paint job at some point, but we decided not to even deal with it for a year or so. We have too many other projects we'd like to do first.
But we noticed a few areas on the window frames and doors where there was some paint starting to chip off. Worried that it might contain lead, Tom started pulling these little chips off with his fingers so he could throw them away before the kids got them. It was soon discovered that 1. the paint is no longer well-adhered to the wood, and can pull off very easily, and 2. the stained trim underneath is still in great shape.
We did not need this as a project now, but Tom is so excited to restore the room to its former stained-wood glory that he's taken this on as a little side job when he has nothing else to work on.
I am going to miss the fresh and bright white trim in that room. I'm so torn between wanting to restore the house to its historically-correct look, and claiming a few rooms for a more-modern white-trimmed look. (Luckily, the trim in our bedroom was discovered to have always been painted, so Tom didn't fight me on that one).
|This shows the white trim on the window and the baseboards (taken shortly after moving in)|
|This was a few weeks ago, after Tom started to chip the paint away|