Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Infected

My apologies for not updating recently.  Our computer has been getting infected with a virus the past few days.  We'll think we got rid of it, but it keeps coming back (it automatically starts when we turn on the computer).  So I haven't been able to use the computer for long stretches of time, while we run various scans.  And when it is available, I've had to use for my cyber school grading.

Tom thinks he can finally eradicate it this evening, which is good.  The one thing that has me troubled, though, is that right now - even though I have internet access again - our computer's still being funny.  And by funny, I mean that all the things we had saved to our desktop are GONE (or just...not available right now?).  I had finally gotten comfortable with the idea that those files might be permanently deleted (most of them could be replaced, or their loss dealt with eventually).  But then I tried to access some Word documents.  And windows told me the entire file was empty.  I checked my music folder - empty.  Photos - (gasp!) empty. 

"It's okay," I quickly assured myself, "you have the external harddrive.  It will all be there"  I went to open the files in there....empty.   !!!

The only thing keeping me from having a meltdown right now is that I had the sense to see if my apparently-deleted music files would still play through iTunes.  And they DO!!  So even though windows believes everything is deleted...it seems that might not be the case.

Hopefully, I'll be back soon to report that all is well!







2 comments:

  1. Yikes... good luck--I hope you find it all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh no! i agree, that's a very good sign that your music will still play on itunes. good luck!!

    ReplyDelete