Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Our Homemade Valentine's Day cards

Tom and I both started working on our cards the night before Valentine's Day, at 10:00 pm.  I worked upstairs in the office, and finished a little after midnight.  Tom finished around 12:30am, and then suggested we go downstairs, drink a bit of wine, and exchange them right away...seeing as how it was technically Valentine's Day already anyways.

I know, it was stupid to stay up so late, but it was a sweet little moment.  Tom gave me my card first.

Pittsburgh - where we met, fell in love, and hope to remain living for the rest of our lives (at least if I get my way) - is famous for its inclines, which carry people up and down some of our many hills.  Tom cut out pictures of us on our wedding day, and made us riding towards each other on an incline.  Cheesy, but cute...


Then I handed him his card.  We're both huge Frank fans (that's Frank Sinatra, of course), so I decided to write the lyrics to one of his classics, Fly Me To the Moon, using little drawings in place of some words.  I wasn't sure if Tom would be able to decipher what all of them were, so each picture is actually a flap you can lift to reveal the correct lyric underneath.  He didn't need to use it, though, since he knows the song so well.

Fly me to the moon

let me play among the stars

let me see what spring is like

on Jupiter and Mars

in other words, hold my hand

in other words, baby, kiss me

(here's where I took a shortcut and just wrote out most of the words)


I. love. you.




















We decided this will become our new Valentine's tradition.  A nice, thoughtful, and simple way to celebrate!

9 comments:

  1. I love your cards! I, too, am a big Frank Sinatra fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute. :) I really like that song, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In a few years Sly will be able to help, but keeping the secret might be a bit harder for him. (Those years will come faster than you realize.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! What a nice tradition :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are too cute! I love all the detail you put into his book

    ReplyDelete
  6. sounds like a good tradition to me!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That sounds like such a great tradition.I need to try it someyear with my future husband(fiancee).

    ReplyDelete
  8. So sweet! What a great tradition!!

    We love Frank Sinatra, too. That was our wedding song :) when bob lived in teas during our engagement we were able to see each other about once a month and when we were in the airport so that one of us could fly away, we would sing that song and dance to it right there in the terminal like no one else was around. Thanks for reminding me :)

    ReplyDelete