Friday, April 29, 2011

7 Quick Takes Friday (Vol. 4) - Royal Wedding, and Other Things


1. I didn't watch the royal wedding. I doubt we even get a channel that televised it anyways. Plus, it takes something really special to get me out of bed so early in the morning! But I've enjoyed looking at pictures online. I'm happy to see the news actually focusing on something HAPPY - a wedding, a celebration of life and love - for once.

2. I always sorta wanted an autumn wedding, so I could wear a dress with lace-y sleeves. But I suppose Kate (or Catherine, as she's now called) pulled it off in April, so maybe I could have too.



3. My April wedding dress.



4. Did everyone read the Bishop of London's sermon from the wedding? Good stuff there!

In a sense every wedding is a royal wedding with the bride and the groom as king and queen of creation, making a new life together so that life can flow through them into the future....

A spiritual life grows as love finds its centre beyond ourselves. Faithful and committed relationships offer a door into the mystery of spiritual life in which we discover this; the more we give of self, the richer we become in soul; the more we go beyond ourselves in love, the more we become our true selves and our spiritual beauty is more fully revealed. In marriage we are seeking to bring one another into fuller life....

Marriage should transform, as husband and wife make one another their work of art. It is possible to transform as long as we do not harbour ambitions to reform our partner. There must be no coercion if the Spirit is to flow; each must give the other space and freedom.


5. I am guessing from all the talk of it on Facebook that it is the feast day of St. Catherine of Siena today. I don't mean to sound like a Total Traditionalist Catholic Snob, but we have the old Liturgical Calender in our kitchen, and it says her feast is tomorrow. As far as I know, it's appropriate to observe either the old or the new feast dates...

Anyways, she is my patron saint, chosen at Confirmation. I feel as though we should commemorate her in some small way....Any ideas?

6. Speaking of recognizing the Feast days of Patron Saints, that is something I'd like to institute in our family - especially once Sly is older, and hopefully joined by some siblings. I think the feasts of the Name-Saint of each child should be recognized in some small way, at least. Even if it's just reading their story from Butler's Lives of the Saints over dinner, and allowing that particular child to choose a special dessert for the day.

7. I've only seen the first two episodes (out of seven), but I've started watching the PBS miniseries Downton Abbey. So far, I'm loving it. It looks at the lives of wealthy aristocrats and their servants living in a big house, and trying to deal with the crises of the inheritance. Very similar to the situation in Pride and Prejudice, the parents have only daughters, and a distant relative is set to inherit the entire estate after the death of the father.


The whole series can be watched streaming on Netflix, if you have a subscription. I hate watching movies on my computer screen, though, so I'll be having them mailed to me in the usual way.


Check out more Quick Takes at Conversion Diary

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow - thanks for the great link to the book on EWTN! I totally saved it to my computer!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't realize the whole series was available on Netflix instant ... I've been meaning watch it, and my computer screen is pretty big. :) Summer TV show!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We usually just do dessert for our feast days. When we have kids, we'll probably also want to incorporate something more, like you said.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i loved downton abbey! british costume dramas are so addicting. i would also recommend upstairs, downstairs. it just came out and its set in the 1930s building up to WWII. it's got the same feel as downton!

    ReplyDelete