Saturday, April 16, 2011

Ma Ma Ma

Sly's "babbling vocabulary" has recently developed some new "words". He's already perfected his 'B' sounds, and now he's been practicing his 'M' sounds. I have been wondering for a while what it will sound like when he starts to say real words. And now I have a taste of that because recently, unintentionally, he's been saying my name a lot.

Even as I type this, I hear him from his crib (where he's supposed to be taking a nap) saying, "ma ma ma" and "mum mum mum." I know he's not really trying to call for me, but it's heartwarming all the same!

But I'm baffled about how Sly will eventually learn that I am "mama" and Tom is "dada." Probably, he's much smarter and more perceptive than I give him credit for. I refer to Tom as "daddy" when I talk about him with Sly. And when he cries for me, I scoop him up and tell him, "it's okay - Mommy's here, I've got you." At some point...that's going to click for him, right?

How will I know when "mama" is not just him practicing his sounds, but actually him speaking to me?

No comments:

Post a Comment