2. Sly has had a weird rash in his "diaper area" for a few weeks now. I've had the doctors look at it several times, and they can't figure out what it is. At first, they were thinking herpes (!!), and were asking me embarrassing questions such as, "has he been sexually abused?" and "who watches him during the day?". It was kinda uncomfortable. Thank goodness the tests for that came back negative. The latest theory is that it's some sort of bacterial infection. He's on another medicine, and the doctor instructed me to boil ALL our cloth diapers. Oh man. Good thing I have that enormous stock pot!
3. I know Christmas is still months away, but I'm already starting to think about a particular Advent tradition that I would love to start in our family. I want to get a lifesize Infant Christ statue in a manger. The empty manger could be set out all during Advent, and then Jesus would be there Christmas morning! I've also heard of families having their kids put one piece of straw into the manger each time they do some charitable act, or make some penance, creating a nice soft bed for Jesus before He arrives. When Sly's a little older, we might consider that. This is the particular statue I have my heart set on.
4. Another item on my "wishlist" recently is a Dust Buster. Man, it seems like Sly just leaves crumbs and little messes everywhere he goes these days! It would be very nice not to have to drag the heavy vacuum up from the basement all the time.
5. At my family's cottage, we've always had an enormous oak tree in the front yard.
|My little seedling|
But then my dad was over our place for Sly's birthday party. I saw him in the backyard, looking at my tree with a doubting sort of expression. I asked him what was up, and he informed me that this was not, as he'd apparently been suspecting for a while, actually an oak tree! It was a huge, stupid WEED! WHAT?! I've been nurturing this dumb thing all summer! Transferring it to bigger and bigger pots, watering it every day, staking it up! I can't believe it. I still haven't gotten up the courage to notify the whole family about my mistake. They will NEVER let me hear the end of it!
6. It constantly amazes me how much babies can pick up without being explicitly "taught." Sly gives kisses on request. On the mouth. I hardly ever kissed him on the mouth before. He could only have learned it by seeing Tom and I kiss that way! Also, pointing at things. Just one day, he started doing it, and it was clear that it was intentional. He'd learned just by watching us.
But dancing? I really think that one's all instinctive. Even at a very young age, when he would hear certain little tunes, he'd start rocking back and forth. So cute!
7. Last weekend, after eating dinner at my dad's house, he informed me that "it was time." Time to clear out all my stuff from my former bedroom. Even though I haven't actually lived with my dad for years, I've still been using my room there as a convenient storage space for all the nostalgia and trinkets that I either didn't have room for at my current abode, or that I was just too lazy to sort through all these years. I have TONS of stuff there. He agreed that I could wait until we've moved before I have to take anything. I know there will be things I'm fine with giving away, but there are still so many items I intend to keep. A lot of toys I'm saving for future daughters, drawers packed with old drawings and notes, decorative knick-knacks, books....Ugh.
See Conversion Diary for more Quick Takes