Thursday, September 1, 2011

Expecting

As most of you have probably either heard from me in person, or read on Facebook...we are expecting another baby!  I didn't exactly intend to post it to Facebook so soon.  I planned to tell a few more friends in person first.  But the people who already knew were starting to leak it on my wall, and soon I was receiving all sorts of congratulations anyways.  So I just decided to go for it.

We're certainly happy and very grateful.  We've been hoping for another baby for some time now.  As soon as the memory of how awful pregnancy was (haha - I am NOT one of those women who loves being pregnant!) started to wear off, and the true joy of parenthood started to sink in...we felt ready to give it another go!

The baby is due March 18th - at least that's the due date based on the dates of my cycle.  I haven't had an ultrasound yet to make it a little more accurate.  Last pregnancy, I started out with an OB/GYN, and was sent for an ultrasound after the first month.  The midwives, who I switched to at five months, will be using this time, and hopefully using again for any future babies, are more frugal with ultrasounds.  Our midwife at the first prenatal checkup told me that if it was really important to me, she'd write a script for one, but that she didn't think it was necessary.  So far, I haven't taken her up on the offer, afraid that it might cost us a lot of money, if insurance doesn't cover the whole thing.  It is reassuring, though, to see that little blob on the screen, and know it's your baby.

Telling most people the news was easy, because we knew we could expect joyful reactions.  But I was a little nervous to tell my father.  I really haven't been able to put my finger on why, but I have gotten the sense that, despite the fact that he came from a family of eight, and had four kids of his own....he is not excited about me potentially having a large family.  He worries about it.  I'm sure it's partially the financial aspect.  But there's something more to it - does he think we're getting in over our heads?  I wish he could just be happy for us, and that's it.  When I told him we were expecting a baby, he actually asked me, "is this good news?" before he would react to it.  Of course it's good news!  That was hard to hear.  So I'm already dreading the future, when (God willing), we announce future pregnancies to him :-(


With another baby on the way, Tom and I are feeling even more pressure to move to a different home.  Hopefully one with a little more space.  Tom is due for a raise at work soon, and we've been praying that it is enough to let us afford this.  If people could keep this intention in their prayers, we'd really appreciate it.

A few months ago, I was reading a bunch of articles and blogs about Catholic couples facing infertility.  It is truly a difficult cross to bear, and I can't even imagine the pain such couples must feel.  I determined at the time that should I get pregnant again, I would offer up the sufferings of my own pregnancy for these families.  This means I am going to try hard not to complain too much this time around!  If I get too whiny on this blog, feel free to remind me!



5 comments:

  1. Yaaaaay!!

    I know what you mean about your dad ... I'm pretty sure we'll have similar issues with Keith's mom. :( I don't know if it has anything to do with whether or not they think you're capable, or even finances--to be honest, I think it's largely not a rational thing, even though people give it reasons. Maybe eventually he'll realize that a pregnancy is always joyful news?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations!!! Woohoo!

    The paragraph you wrote about your father's reaction struck a chord with me. My father is exactly the same way and I will forever be nervous to announce a pregnancy to him. When I told him about baby number two, he rolled his eyes, sighed, and asked "So how is that house hunt coming along?" lol. I know how you feel!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulation!! I just started reading your blog recently (can't remember how I found it).

    I hope this pregnancy goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations!! March 18th was my due date with Katherine, and her birthday too!!

    I hope you're feeling better soon. We're super happy for your family. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. so happy for you guys! sly will be an awesome big brother!

    ReplyDelete